Student Spotlight – Alexis Ramberg

Published - March 3, 2023

Student Spotlight – Alexis Ramberg, Occupational Therapy Assistant Program

Tell us more about yourself & your background?

Hi! My name is Alexis and I am 24. A little about myself and how I got into OTA is when I was 15, I had a traumatic brain injury. I had an Arteriovenous Malformation (AVM) which caused a stroke. I was in an induced coma for about 4 weeks. When I finally woke up, I went to inpatient rehab for 5 weeks. Even after I returned home, I continued outpatient care for another 2 years. After being an athlete and a top student, I was left paralyzed on the right side of my body. I had to relearn all my life skills. I had physical therapy, speech therapy, and occupational therapy to help me on my journey to recovery and I appreciate everything they did. Now, I want to express my gratitude and share my motivations for this field.  This life-changing experience will allow me to change and help people recover/live with trauma and disability.

What brought you to CBD College and when did you begin your journey here?

When I knew I want to become a COTA, I did some research on accredited colleges and CBD College was the most accessible to me so I started my journey in October 2021. 

What stage are you in your program here at CBD College?

I am almost done with module 4. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am so excited to pursue my career.

What do you enjoy most about your program?

I enjoy the people in my program because we all want the same thing, to help people and to improve individual independence. The professors and the CBD College staff are very helpful and they care about our success

What do you find most interesting about your program?

The most interesting thing about my program is all diagnoses and how we can help and support them.

Who or what is your greatest influence or inspiration?

My brother is my inspiration. He knew I would be able to do anything I dreamed of and he always supported me. When my brother passed away, it drove me to pursue my dream of becoming an OTA.

What do you think students should know about CBD College’s OTA Program? 

A couple of things students should know about CBD College’s OTA Program is you will learn so much. There are many opportunities to participate in many activities throughout this program to connect you with a variety of people and professors to help and support you through the completion of the program.

What advice do you have for future students?

Some advice I would have for future students would be always communicate with your peers and especially professors. Communication is key with your professors. Your professors want you to succeed and they are there to help.

Interested in becoming an Occupational Therapy Assistant? If you want to work with patients by providing therapy in exciting environments such as hospitals, nursing facilities, occupational therapists’ offices, and home health services, then this is the career for you! We’re here to help you start your successful career in healthcare. Don’t wait any longer! Give us a call at (213) 427-2200 or visit our Occupational Therapy Assistant program page to schedule a tour today!

Call Now Get Info